Friday, June 02, 2006

Byetta Reaction?

From the first injection of Byetta, I felt as if I were having a very minor allergic reaction. With each injection (and I took it for 7.5 months), I would feel exactly as I do when I eat an only an egg on an empty stomach – yucky. Twice a day for months, I felt as if I needed to take some Benadryl, though I did not.

I spoke to my doc about it several times. I called Byetta a couple of times; asking if Byetta was made, or derived from, eggs or egg products, each time I inquired, I got a negative reply.

Other Byetta users were reporting a ‘yucky’ feeling after taking an injection of Byetta. Because of these ‘other’ reports, I just considered it one more mild side effect and I ignored this little problem in the excitement of seeing lower blood glucose numbers and weight loss.

About halfway through the 7.5 months I took Byetta, my back started itching. And I mean itching, intensely. I eventually ended up with a backscratcher in each room. Still, I did not think too much of it, as it was ONLY my back itching. The itching was bad enough however, that I did report it to my doc.

About this same time, my eyes (I suffer from dry ‘eyes’ anyway) became irritated and itchy. I went to the Ophthalmologist, was diagnosed with ‘allergic conjunctivitis’ and put on twice daily eye drops.

After I had stopped taking Byetta, I again reported my intensely itching back to my doc, this time I was referred to a Dermatologist where I was diagnosed with chronic Urticaria. I am now taking several anti-histamines and Atarax for the itching.

No one sees the connection between taking Byetta and the Chronic Urticaria, or the general allergic condition I seem to be suffering from now, but me! Indeed, there may not even be a connection, except in my own head.

I have been an ‘allergic’ person all my life; it has taken many forms, from anaphylactic shock to small rashes. I personally believe that this is just another one. That I had a low-level allergic reaction to Byetta and that it became chronic over the time I used Byetta. I should have listened to my own body!

4 comments:

  1. I have been on Byetta for 3 weeks and for the last 2 weeks I have been having these itching fits. At times I feel like my lips and fingers are swollen as if I too am having an allergic reaction to something I've eaten. If I dare scratch my itch it results in these terrible red welts. They subside as quickly as they arise but still its annoying. No one warned me of this. I'm having wonderful sucess with my blood sugar levels but I cant stand the itching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took it for 4 months and Began to get Mosquito bite like hives on my belly. 2 months later my face blew up like a ballon with swelling. It has been a whole year and they only went away for 2 months and now they are back full force. I believe there is a connection here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on Byetta for 8 months. Lost about 50 pounds. About 5 days ago started itching intensely on the palms of both hand, tops of both feet and my underarms. Also developed small spider bite looking welts on my back, legs and stomach. My endo does not seem to think that this is related to Byetta and suggested I see a dermatologist. Still doing my own research but have taken myself off of Byetta for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having episodes of swollen inflamed lips since being on Byetta. I have never had anything like this before in my life. My lips itch and throb and become so sore that there are many foods that I can not eat. When the 2nd episode hit I tried benadryl and the duration and severity was reduced The problem is that the reaction is not immediate. I have been off Byetta for a few weeks and I just had a mild episode. My endo said no more Byetta because an allergic reation involving the swelling of lips can be serious. I hate to stop taking it because the results were so good. Any one else having similar symptoms?

    ReplyDelete