Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Byetta Creates Big Changes!

I haven't posted because my time has literally been 'sucked' up with Byetta (& nausea)!

Byetta has changed MUCH in my life! (I'm wondering if this happened to any of the folks in the 'research groups'?)

As my switch to 10 is looming on the horizon, I'm wondering if I want to do another month at the 5 level (I have two more '5' pens - so I'd have to take 4 injections a day).

Not only has my appetite changed (I've lost 5 lbs), the foods I want have changed, my 'meal times' have become 'fixed' when they used to be 'fluid'. I haven't 'cooked' since starting Byetta! BUT...

-Am also had to learn to deal w/GI probs: nausea, a feeling of fullness, gas, indigestion, constipation (from not eating so much? am taking DSS now),
-I am NOT hungry 24/7, even right after a large meal! (an amazement beyond belief!)
-an extra two shots per day,
-testing bg's at a different times (used to be BEFORE meals, now it's after - and sometime I forget; I need to buy a TWO hour timer. LOL),
-using insulin at different times in less amounts (used to be w/meal, now 2hr pp),
-worrying HOW insulin & Byetta will interact on bg's in different situations.
-thinking about taking Byetta 'pen' with me (and meal!), if I'm gonna be out at meal time of the day,
-problems SLEEPING, (often can't go to sleep at usual time because my bg isn't HIGH, so I toss and turn for a couple of hours before finally going to sleep, then WAY oversleep the next day, which screws up everything.

I am soon to be 60, some of the changes are 'habits or routines' of a prior entire lifetime! And I've NEVER been good at 'changes' (rocking boats disorient me!).

Top all this off w/my other medical probs I have to manage: like I am having some minor 'Tetany' this morning, in fact. And the HH, my hemoglobin and Hematacrit levels are up again; I went for a TP (therapeutic phlebotomy) last week, and return again in 3 weeks. Add the Byetta into the mix, and all it's associated lifestyle changes, side effects, and it's a lot to juggle!

I like the Byetta, feel that after many years, am finally on the way to a normal bg status again (and for that, I DO need to go to the 10mcg dose). But I AM feeling overwhelmed by it all...

Perhaps Byetta, instead of offering the free pen 'cooler' (has anyone even gotten that???), and a $10 off coupon, should have set up f2f support groups (like gastric bypass folks), or a coupon for free psychologist visits??? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment