Friday, July 28, 2006

My new Cozmo Insulin Pump is here!

MediCare/MediCal finally realized that I was not going to shut up (they were right, I’d have appealed a negative decision on this up through the hearing and court levels) until they approved it and so a large cardboard box arrived via the brown truck today. I knew it was arriving, but I was afraid to mention it until I actually had it in my possession. I did not want to ‘jinx’ it!

I unpacked it, boy what a lot of strange looking stuff! (And I am very experienced with insulin and glucose meters!). As I was opening different boxes of equipment, just to look, I had to wonder if I would ever master it. Looks like it is going to take a lot of learning! But, of course, I will!

In fact, I am excited! Perhaps I will, at last, get my blood glucose under control. It has been a struggle for long years to get to here, losing almost 60 pounds (I was told my diabetes would either go away or get better with even a small weight loss. Hah!), trying different oral medications with the insulin I was taking, and lastly, Byetta. (For which I am still taking medications for Urticaria!)

Still, I think the Cozmo Insulin pump and equipment came with more ‘paper’ and manuals then you used to get with a new computer, and including two CD ROMs. I briefly read the ‘quick start, stuff, but I haven’t installed the software nor watched the tutorial yet, let alone read any of the manuals in depth.

Of course, it came with a ‘discreet’ ‘catalog’ list of accessories I could buy, if I had the bucks. I actually do not think an upload cable ($59), nor a case ($18), are accessories. I think they may be necessities. (As are a couple of paperbacks I will need to buy.) Looks like I’m going to be ‘pump poor’ for a few months.

But I don’t care. I am so excited! I am finally looking at a real improvement in my quality of life as far as Diabetes is concerned. There is even evidence now that some of the problems of Diabetes that I have developed, (Gastroparesis, neuropathy, frequent infections) can improve with good blood sugar control.

There have been so many, many fights with doctors, insurance, etc. this past 10 years. And with all the rare (and life threatening) difficult health issues I have had, Diabetes has often had to take a back seat. This was not because it medically should have, but because I am not a ‘monied’ person, and can only fight one fight at a time. (Had I had my ‘druthers’, I would have purchased a pump 10 years ago!)

I have my first appointment with the Cozmo Diabetes Educator tomorrow afternoon! Yes!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like we have the same form of diabetes and a lot in common. I have a Cozmo, puked my guts up with Byetta for 4 weeks, and I have neuropathy in the feet.

    The pump will change your life. My a1C is now 6.5 from 8+ and my neuropathy is a dull numbness not the 3rd degree sunburn that only ice water would help.

    Pay attention to your carb counting and your educator. And be careful on the bedtime boluses or the middle of the night low-trolls will get you.

    Cozmo is my best friend. I don't go anywhere without her.

    good luck mcwilly@webbroad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!

    Yes, my guess is there are a LOT of us that have these things in common i.e. a CozmoPumpers Yahoo Support Group.

    See link at right! Hope to see you there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how are you liking your cozmo. Has it changed your life?

    ReplyDelete