Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

Another Holiday spent alone...

Thanksgiving was always 'big' with my family, then my kids. When they grew and flew, I used to invite folks in and I still 'cooked'. Over the years, it just became physically impossible for me to do all that cooking and clean up; so Thanksgiving eventually downsized to include only me. For a couple of years, I tried 'going out' for this celebratory meal, but it just was not satisfying, and there were no leftovers. I'd rather have what I can cook and eat!

This year, as usual, I fixed my by now 'standard' diabetic holiday meal: baked chicken thighs, a box of cornbread dressing, sugar free Cranberry Jello, brown & serve dinner rolls with butter, and a cold diet coke. Food that will provide a yummy dinner for several nights!

Basically, it's a good Thanksgiving meal, and one I enjoy. Of course, I don't 'pig' out on this sumptuous stuff. That's not allowed. I do measure/weigh my food...

Notice the LACK of goodies that I would have enjoyed 20 yrs ago, ie turkey with homemade dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, Waldorf salad, canned cranberry sauce, etc.

Still, have NOT given up my pumpkin pie covered with Cool Whip (Lite!), I have it as a bedtime snack, and not as part of my meal. In fact, I buy a small pie, and have this snack for 4 nights, and pay for it with a higher morning blood sugar. But it is worth it.

My son Jon in Indianapolis did call me today, and I got to talk to both of those grand kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment