Thursday, August 26, 2004

Gradually Declining, Again

The past few days have been rough, physically. And remind me exactly of how sick I was before I was first diagnosed with Hereditary Hemochromatosis.

In fact, I have been in bed most of the time lately. I get up, do what little I can (which isn't much!) before I run out of steam, then back to bed.

The kinds of things I usually do when I am out of bed (and most tasks I can't complete without resting or going back to bed for awhile, have to be done in stages!):

prepare & eat some simple food, (sandwiches!)
OR do up a few dishes,
OR take prescribed meds,
OR get my email,
OR take care of the fur babies (they are back on an antibiotic! $60!!!),
OR brush my hair and get dressed,
OR take a shower without washing my hair,
( so far I've showered once in the last week - don't try to imagine what I smell, look like!),
OR return a phone call,
OR empty the trash and get the snail mail,
(and BOTH are really piled up)
OR do my blood glucose & take insulin
OR water the plants.


The symptoms ARE back in full force, though it has been a gradual process:

Muscle pain
Joint pain and soreness
foggy' thinking, can't make decisions
Increasing loss of balance
Easy bleeding & bruising
Choking
Severe Fatigue
NO energy
Muscle weakness (to the point I can hardly sit upright in a chair)
Blue 'lines' in my nails; cold white digits (from lack of circulation - blood is too thick)
Shortness of breath (Ditto, thick blood)
High Blood Sugar symptoms ('cause I'm not taking care of my diabetes)


Therefore, I am NOT:

going anywhere
doing any work (websites, lists, etc)
getting out of the apartment
reading
watching an entire program on TV
making any $$$ (and I am so very broke!)
writing (in any 'working' type sense)
listening to HAM radio
seeing anyone
taking care of 'business'
doing any basic household chores
on any kind of 'life' schedule
living



I realize that this current 'episode' may be self-limiting. It has happened that way before, more than once. I could feel better in a few days. But these 'episodes' are definitely getting closer together and worse.

I also realize that once I can get back to my docs (and boy, is playing 'catch-up' with them and all appointments and procedures going to be difficult & transit cost expensive!), that ALL these symptoms will probably subside, and once again become manageable; but for now I suffer, am hurting, am dejected, am sick, and yes, am depressed.

Life is feeling pretty grim...

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there evvy! I hope you start feeling better soon and are able to get to the docs. Isn't there anything they can give you to help thin your blood? I'm praying for you. ~Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment, thoughts, & PRAYERS.

    No, nothing to be done to 'thin' the blood except visits to Hematologist & Theraputic Phlebotomies. (& of course; try to maintain good nutrition & hydration, not easy to do when you're so sick.)

    I'll prob have to go every week for awhile; once I get a working wheelchair...

    ReplyDelete