Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Ides of March

Julius Caesar was assassinated on this date in 44 BC, after being warned by a soothsayer, Beware the Ides of March. Or so Shakespeare made famous in his play JULIUS CEASAR.

In times past, it was also a day to settle debts. Rather ominous and dreary connotations.

But, this is my favorite day of the entire year!

Some enjoy the tastes and aromas of Thanksgiving, leaves changing colors, and Jack Frost at the windows.

Other people prefer Christmas, and the gifts, family gatherings, and snow.

Still others look forward to the religious aspects of Easter and bunnies and colored eggs and new hats.

For me, it's the Ides of March, has been since I was old enough to realize what it signified for me. March 15th - Winter is almost over, Spring is REALLY on the horizon. And, Summer will soon follow. These are my seasons, sun, heat, long days, growing things, picnics, and baseball.

Today was picture perfect; the middle of the day was unusually warm and sunny. The air was still and full of fragrance from newly blooming plants (All that rain!). The sky was cloudless and azure blue. Silence prevailed.

I sat in the sun, alone. I could actually feel summer sneaking up behind me. I remembered other March 15th's, was glad to be alive, and cogitated on all these things.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Evvy,

    I started doing neighborhood watch in Mtn. View, CA 4 years ago
    on March 16.

    The day before, a girl had been stabbed in the kidney and recovered.
    The perpetrator had gotten away and was on the run for one and a half
    years.

    Meanwhile, I was doing neighborhood watch on my bike in the area.
    Many people came up to me and asked if I was working for the cops in the
    mostly Hispanic neighborhood. Two rival gangs surrounded me and questioned
    me. I did help remove a few drug dealers, but I was not working for the cops.
    The most recent drug dealer was a mom and her kid selling drugs out of their car.
    Most of the people got to know "The Man on the Bike" pretty well. Still the
    stabber was at large.

    Then one day I read a story in the local Mtn. View newspaper that the Ides
    of March Stabber had been caught. He was turned in by his own cousin who
    lived in the neighborhood were I did patrol.

    It turned out that although the stabber had no formal education, the cops found
    his apartment filled with hundreds of books. There in the collection was a worn
    out copy of William Shakespeare's plays, including Julius Caesar !

    Take care, Evvy.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete