Sunday, April 16, 2006

Well, this is really depressing!

Scanning all these old pics is getting to me, though we’re coming up to the time of year when historically (since age 10!) I tend to get depressed; I usually start down in late June as the days begin to shorten, and vice versa in December. However, this past winter has not only had rain, but a dearth of sunshine; clouds and fog have obscured the sun, probably more often than not.

Then too, there are those old pictures and documents I’m sorting and scanning, and yes, posting to a site. (If you want the URL, please email me.) Each and every one, evoke a memory or feeling or both.

I think it would be easy to procrastinate on this project, but I am not. Just the opposite, I try to not look, not get involved in what I am scanning (though sometimes I have to, in order to come up with a name or date or address, etc.) but just gather a stack and run them through without getting emotionally involved. No easy trick, though I am scanning almost daily, but after over 500 items, it is getting more automatic.

I will be very glad when this self-imposed project is finished (Maybe I am half done?); the entire project keeps me in a frame of mind reminiscent of “All the dead dears” (Sylvia Plath).

I think I would rather be creating new poetry, or even new fiction, than reburying my dead, or perhaps that should be, finally burying my dead. Funerals are important, socially and emotionally, cathartic, even if depressing

No comments:

Post a Comment