Friday, October 01, 2004

Clean Clothes!

I now have some clean clothes - and am working on having MORE clean clothes.

I borrowed the $206 (including tax & shipping) to buy it; but I just felt I had no other option. (Of course, would have liked to get a 'bigger' one, or even a stack washer/dryer unit, but that is completely out of my current financial reach. In fact, it will be difficult for me to pay what I borrowed, back.) Still, if this little washer only lasts me a year, it would be a terrific bargain.

This may be the smallest apartment sized automatic washing machine made: capacity 4.9 lbs. It connects to the kitchen faucet, and drains into the sink.

It arrived Wednesday afternoon via the wonderful brown truck. I managed to get it out of it's box, but I was unable to do the few things it needed to make it functional.

Thursday, a friend came over and finished 'installing' it; the hoses and 'quick release' faucet connection had to be assembled, and leg covers that would allow me to slide the washer on the kitchen floor to the sink, had to be added.

I've been 'washing' ever since! (And believe me, everything I had was dirty, as I've been unable to find & hire an independent Provider.)

It doesn't hold much at a time; a couple of towels, a pair of slacks, a blouse, a pair of socks is about it for one load. But it does a full 'cycle'; wash, 2 rinses, and spin drains. I can do load after load, so it's lack of capacity is only a small inconvenience!

Today I managed to 'string' two 'clotheslines between two bookcases in my living room and without blocking either the front door or the line of site to the television!. (Lucy & Ethel, the 6 month old kittens think this is just great fun!) As I write this, I have about 10 various sized towels hanging there to dry. Clothes I hang on clothes hangers on the molding of doorways.

Sure brings back memories of my childhood and those rough Missouri winters, with clean clothes hanging all over the house to dry, from clotheslines strung anywhere they could put 'em up!

I've gotten nothing ELSE done. Am absolutely worn out; all my energy (and then some) has been used up. But it's worth it.

Independence, even a modicum of it, is a great thing...

No comments: