Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My 'other' Grandsons!

I recently did something that I've been waiting a long 18 years to do!

My two oldest grandchildren: Russell Harris (now 19) and Christopher Harris (now 18) were adopted by a couple on the East Coast, Russell at birth, Christopher when he was about 2 months old.

Everyone in my family strongly objected to these adoptions. This family has ALWAYS taken IN children. If adoptions were truly necessary, they were done 'within' the family, not adopted out to strangers!

These were 'open adoptions'. Both boys went to the same couple. I had their address and phone number but I painfully came to the decision that it would be in the best interest of my Grandsons to not contact them till they were of age. But once they were...

These 'lost' Grandsons have often been in my thoughts. And, I've watched the calendar as these boys aged year by year. Once in awhile checking on the address and phone number, making sure it was current. Luckily for me (and the boys), the adoptive couple was stable and stayed put.

This last month, the youngest, Christopher, turned 18. And I called the adoptive parents. I spoke to the Adoptive Father. Introduced myself. Told him Christopher's story. Gave them the information regarding HH. Gave the adoptive father my address and phone number.

I told the adoptive father that I wished to have some kind of contact with these young men, if they so chose. And he SAID that he would give them the information (he did sound open, sincere, interested, and responsive).

Now I am in a position to send my grandsons snail mail! To send birthday and holiday cards. It doesn't really matter if they respond or not, though of course it would warm my heart if they did. Perhaps someday, I can even meet them, talk to them in person, learn what kind of people they are.

My 'lost' Grandsons are lost to me no longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment