Monday, May 09, 2005

Another Mother's Day Alone

Another's Mothers Day passed without hearing from either of my adult children; Lisa and John Robert. Nor any of my Grandchildren.

Not a card, a call, or an email.

Even though it's what I expected, it always causes me retrospection. The thing is: I was not an addict, we were never homeless, I never re-married nor moved a lover in, they were not malnourished and I think the only bruises they had were from falling off swings!

We went to week-end movies, picnics, celebrated holidays, sold girl scout cookies, my son went camping with boy scouts a couple of times. They had childhood friends, played outside with trikes, bikes, and bigwheels.

My kids had a lot of love, and personal attention from me. Plus I always managed to somehow get their basic needs met. I always put them FIRST. In fact, I probably still do.

Yes, I could have been a BETTER mother. But I absolutely did the best I could being a single mom with some pretty severe medical problems, always living below the poverty level, and with absolutely NO help or guidance (all our relatives died or disappeared, before they were pre-teens).

You would think that all the above circumstances would have brought us close, made us a tight little family. It did, but only while they were children.

Early this Mother's Day morning, while half-awake, and trying to decide whether to roll over and go back to sleep or to get up; I heard Dr. Dodson on the radio.

He said that children learn to respect and value their Mothers, THROUGH their Fathers, by seeing their Dads do exactly that. (And I would assume, OTHER close relatives.)

That brought me wide awake! It was mind boggling. A concept I'd never heard or thought of. Instantly, I realized that my children had had 'no one else' to view me though. No one to teach them to love, value, or accept their Mother.

Their, alcoholic for years father, though present in the background (when he felt like playing the role), and paying a very minimum of child support, never did anything but deride me in front of them.

So, obviously they never learned that so important lesson. Even though in their childhoods they saw me value, respect, and help others. I did teach them that. And they do. They care about almost everyone but me.

Though I've repeatedly, and in many ways, let them know that I am their Mother and I love them & need them in my life. And in these 'later' years, sadly, I've 'reacted' to their behaviour rather than 'acting' as I normally would (another way to teach them?), probably a 'last resort' tatic.

I've also been there for them as adults, when they needed me, if only on the phone, or being a safe place to stay for a few months.

I've pointed out that I didn't treat MY relatives in such a way; that they SAW me love and care for their grandmother. I've also pointed out that THEY are teaching their children how to treat THEM. All to no avail.

There is nothing I can do; I can't make them love, and care about me. They are adults now, middle-aged actually, so they are consciously making choices about how they treat me, how they live their lives.

And there is nothing I can do about it except continue to love them, and keep them in my thoughts. Once every few years, I get out their 'boxes' of childhood keepsakes: baby books, favorite toys, locks of hair, and spend hours remembering and crying.

Now, thanks to Dr. Dodson, and the serendipity of waking to a radio 'moment', there is finally some understanding and closure for me as a Mother. It is not my fault that my children do not love me. (Other than in the choice of the man I fell in love with and married. An error in judgment I've paid dearly for ever since.)

My life goes on, without THAT one specific guilt, even if I'm still living with a broken heart...

8 comments:

  1. Actually Tom, my 'kids' (aged 38 & 39)have just put me out of their lives, hearts, minds.

    Yes, of course, they had/have friends that celebrate Mother's Day (and all holidays). But that doesn't mean THEY choose too.

    When they were children they always made cards for me, etc. That more or less stopped when they left home.

    My Son has substituted his 'Mother-in-Law' as his MOM. But then he gets rewards for that, loans co-signed, someone to borrow money from, etc. (I have nadda, indeed, am in 'need'.)

    My Daugher ALWAYS has one close female friend that she leans heavily on emotionally, who kinda takes on the role of MOM or big sister.

    And yes, they both know they only have one MOM, they just don't care. To them, I am already dead and gone, and have been for years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother spending mothers day alone I wanted to give you a huge hug! I'm a little younger than you, but was also a lone parent until my daughter decided I wasn't her mother anymore, so I can really empathise.

    Take care of yourself today.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have 2 grown up children,35 and 33yrs but neither bother to contact me or stay in touch yet i have done them no wrong,they live about 100 and 200 miles away from me.i never got a card in the post yesterday from either of them nor will i see them or hear from them today.its the same at xmas and my birthday.all i can say is that i raised 2 selfish kids.i live on my own and feel quite lonely today as i never go anywhere much.everytime i hear a car door slam i look out the window but its always for someone else.oh to have a hug or a cuddle from them but its unlikely.i doubt they will read this but just to let them know i still love them.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so sad. Before my daughter had her baby, now 4 months old, we always celebrated my birthday and mothers day. This year, however, none of that happened. I don't know if I should say something to her. When I asked her what she was doing for mom's day she answered: "sleeping." That's how she gets out of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very moved by this post as my only child, a son (21), is very disrespectful and I don't expect he will make any special efforts for tomorrow - Mothers Day. I try to help him as much as I can - I am a single Mom too - but he wants more and more. When I ask for something done around the house - yes, he will do it - but grudgingly and with such anger, I am not sure it is worth the price. I guess I have to face the fact that he will go and, as you say, consider me dead - an item that may happen sooner than he thinks because I have a serious health issue.

    I never expected this and feel very alone, more than I have ever felt. Empty nest is one thing, but completely gone is quite another. Right now, it seems our home is only good for the occasional night and a cheque here and there. Mothers Day means nothing. Tonight he was so angry and threatening that I have asked him to stay with a friend.

    I am confused as to whether I am alone or used. A cuddle would be a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. go on with your life and learn that you are not alone in this. Do things and learn to let go and let God take over that is what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks i know the feeling so well and this helps

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day Evvy. I'm a single mom with 2 kids getting no support from their father. In fact they haven't even seen him since 2004. Sad thing is, I too am alone. They would rather play with their friends than spend Mother's day with me. It's hard being a mom. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Please try to have a happy day. Know that you gave everything for your kids, and they are here in this world because of you. Hug!

    ReplyDelete