Saturday, September 02, 2006

My Avon Comb


I reached for it and somehow, perhaps because I was not paying attention, it slipped out of my grasp. I watched as it fell the 4 or so feet from the shelf to the floor.

Imagine my surprise when I bent over and picked it up to find that it had broken! The last fourth of the handle just kind of flopped around as I held it. The broken section was still attached to the rest of the comb, but barely.

I held it together with the palm of my hand as I combed my hair and wondered if gluing it back together would work. I loved that comb. My heart was broke.

It was not until the next day that I remembered the claims that Avon had made when I purchased the comb and brush (which had disappeared mysteriously, never to be seen again.) That is right, unbreakable!

I found myself wondering if Avon would replace my comb, as it had broken, proving their claims wrong. But then, I had not the slightest idea where the receipt was. I am not good at keeping those kinds of things. I wondered if they would honor their claim without a receipt. I doubted it.

This morning, I grabbed another, not as good, not as comfortable in my hand, not a blue, comb. It worked as well as my Avon comb but was definitely an unsatisfactory experience. One I knew I would have to get used to if I could. Still, it is difficult to break with an item you have been using for 23 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment