Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Strange Day, Stranger People

First was the quake. I was sitting at the dining room table, filling out a form or something, when it hit. It did not last long, and it was more of a ‘roller’ than a ‘jolter’. Still, The Sisters sat up and took notice, and this wood building was a ‘creaking’. I went to a doorway, just in case. You never know, I have seen them start small and build. Being pretty experienced in quakes, it immediately occurred to me that it was not centered here in San Diego, and I thought ‘boy, if this originated in LA, it must have been a biggie; but I keep forgetting that Mariner's Coves Apartments sit on a slab of concrete and under that is sandy fill. A few minutes later, I left the safety of the doorway and tuned to CNN for more info.

My current IP (of 2 months) was doing a bit of shopping for me at the time of the quake. Right after that, she called me about something; did I want this or that? Well her cell went out. I tried to call her back and I got some kind of message that the line was not available, try my call later.

Within a few minutes, the front door opened, she set my just purchased stuff just inside the door, leaving the door open a crack. I thought she had gone back to her car for something. I started putting stuff away. And, you know what? She never came back, called, or anything. (She has been kind of flaky the last week, saying she had lost her car keys and couldn’t get into her car for several days – I didn’t believe it, I can almost always tell when they are getting ready to quit.)

After a few minutes, I closed and locked the front door. I do not know if the quake scared her, or if she thought I had hung up on her or what. Why do so many IP’s seem to have personality problems? Now I need a new IP and will have to do without until I find one…

1 comment:

  1. "Why do so many IP’s seem to have personality problems?"

    I've had the same problem with cleaning ladies. Those who show up reliably don't clean and those who clean are flaky. I have memory problems, and one (who cleaned really well) expected me to call every week and remind her "tomorrow is Tuesday", because she couldn't remember that I expected her every Tuesday. Invariably, I forgot to remind her.

    The last one had no qualms about coming into the bedroom six times an hour to babble about a friend's disgusting medical problem, but "didn't want to disturb me" by coming into the bedroom to clean or put the laundry away. My house was spotless when she was hired; when she quit (after being told she had to do the job properly) there was clutter on every flat surface, things she was too lazy to put away.

    Which brings me to another gripe -- I tell them "please put all the Tupperware in this cupboard" (or the pots in that one, or the canned goods in the other one) and 30 seconds before it's time for them to leave, they come in and proudly report on their cleverness, that they collected everything and put it in a box for *me* to put away later! If I dare to say that I told them to put it away, that's what I'm paying them for, they don't come back the next week.

    I wish I could get into the program where the government pays for the help I need, but the judge refuses to accept any testimony (even doctors and VocRehab) that I'm too disabled to work, and keeps basing his decision on "you don't look that sick".

    ReplyDelete