Thursday, December 04, 2008

Apologies

Hippie 2



I don't seem to be having much luck with apologies being accepted (or being forgiven) lately. However, I have always been pretty good about owning up to my mistakes.

First it was my daughter, she still hasn't accepted my apology, nor apparently, forgiven me.

Then there is a neighbor I definitely owed an apology too, and I've been thinking for the past couple of months on how to approach this neighbor couple. I did not want to broach them individually, but together. So in past weeks, I've made several visits to the area of their apartment, but on all but the most recent occasion, one or more of their cars were gone. Last Sunday however, they were both home, so I knocked on their door. "Who is it?” I was asked.

"It's evvy" I replied to the door. "I'd just like a minute of your time."

"For what?"

"I just felt that I really owed you guys an apology. I wanted you to know that I am sorry, if anything I said hurt or offended you. I wanted to offer a sincere apology."

Silence from behind the door. "OK" I said. If you'd like to talk about it further, just give me a call or drop by." Still silence from behind the door. So I took my leave.

Even if you admit to a 'wrong', acknowledge it, apologize for it, and/or offer to make restitution, it does NOT mean that it will be accepted. And should it be accepted, it does not mean that you will be forgiven.

I think this fact stops a lot of people from making apologies! But, it you have done something ‘wrong’, you need to acknowledge it and take steps to make it ‘right’, WITHOUT regard to the possible outcome (unless of course, if it would somehow hurt someone even worse).

And such have been my most recent experiences.

On the other hand, there are gracious, loving people like the wheel chair van driver I was surly with (too cold, too tired, too hungry). The next time I saw her, I apologized, and she not only accepted the apology, but forgave me and gave me a big hug!

I don't get many apologies coming my way, that's for sure! But when one does, I try to be gracious, accepting, AND forgiving!

I like happy endings…





1 comment:

  1. Well, Evvy, you did the right thing and that's what matters. How other people react is for them to live with.
    Cheers,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete