Thursday, July 07, 2005

Byetta

It has now been one month since the rx for Byetta was called in to the pharmacy.

MediCal has REFUSED authorization for Byetta. And they said that they will refuse it the second time it's submited, today.

1)MediCal does NOT have Byetta in it's Database, and it could be weeks before it does. Amylin/Lilly IS working with them on this.

2)MediCal says it will not approve Byetta UNLESS I am currently taking BOTH Metaforman & SufaWHATEVER (sp) and it isn't working well. (Now if I started taking these two meds today instead of insulin, even though I've tried them before and they didn't work, they'd probably deny Byetta till I'd been ON these meds for 6 mos. or longer and had a history of a1c's to back it up!)

MediCal says I NEED the first drug Amylin came out with, the one for Insulin Dependant Diabetics. (They obviously thinks they are docs - endos yet!) They would approve that (go figure!). That is all they would approve since I am taking insulin. (No way around this as they have been paying for my insulin for years.)

So, I need one of the Byetta Sample kits, they are a complete 5 mcg pen, a few needles, a video on how to use (a lotta good that does folks w/no VCR), and a $10 coupon for next purchase. Private endos are giving them out to patients left and right, I know several folks that have already gotten these. I need to try to get one from my doc.

AND, I've requested the paperwork for the program Lilly has to help pay for meds not covered by insurance. Though I may not be eligible, or they may not cover it for the same reasons MediCal won't. I will certainly try though...

AND, I will file an appeal with the state when I get the hardcopy 'denials' from my pharmacy. But those appeals can take months.

AND in 1/2006 when MediCare takes over as Primary for all meds, I might be able to get it then. (This could be why MediCal is dragging their heels on a lot of stuff.)

Perhaps I should just stop taking insulin, stop purchasing food, and put the bucks towards Byetta ($119.00 plus per month). Would lose a lot of weight THAT way, as well as attracting media attention (my blog is already listed with the Union Tribune); maybe sell a lot of eBooks because of it, and be able to afford to PAY for the Byetta... Plus, my attorney will be back in town late this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment