Saturday, February 17, 2007

Another Old Friend Found though the Internet!

Well, Russell Collins was really my Mom’s friend. He’s 12 years older than I am, and still lived at home, across the street, from where my Mom and her family lived, and where I was born.

But I grew up around him! Though my Mom’s family friend, Russell seemed like an Uncle to me. Another part of our large extended family.

We stayed in touch, by mail and phone, for years after my Mom’s death in 1976. Sometimes this was only an exchange of Christmas Cards. When he retired though, and moved to the Ozarks, we lost touch. That yearly Christmas Card came back marked, no such person, undeliverable, etc. And I was at a loss.

I thought of him often. I went on an Internet search for him once in awhile with no results. But the last time I looked for him, I noticed an address and phone number listed in a city he had once lived in. I picked up the phone. Yes! It was MY Russell Collins!

Since then we have had a couple of delightful, long phone conversations, and now stay in touch with email. Russell, now 73, does not particularly like computers, feels he is not too good with them, but struggles through, seeing the value of email.

Once again, thanks to the World Wide Web!

No comments:

Post a Comment