Saturday, February 24, 2007

The San Diego RSVP


The San Diego Retired Senior Volunteer Patrol is an innovative, active partner of the San Diego Police Department, Western Division. It is a volunteer corps of senior citizens who and are trained and work with the local police. They are taught non-hazardous, non-confrontational police procedures. They patrol in two member uniformed teams in clearly identified cars.

Routine police tasks performed by the RSVP teams allow sworn officers to concentrate on crime and crime prevention. RSVP volunteers are always in contact with police dispatchers through the communication system.

The San Diego Police Department supplies cars, and standard equipment. Tax deductible gifts provide for special equipment and administrative expenses.

The San Diego RSVP patrol shopping, school, and residential areas reporting suspicious activity. They monitor traffic using radar. They check disabled parking and issue citations. They assist the police, when requested by directing traffic at emergency scenes, lift fingerprints, act as couriers, and assist with investigations.

But here is the important part for me; on request, they make regular scheduled visits to the elderly and disabled. In San Diego, this part of their program is named, ‘You Are Not Alone’. I do not remember who told me about this program, but it has been a great help to me for over a year now. Three times a week, they stop by and knock on the door, just to check to see if I am all right.

It sounds like such a small thing, but it gives me all kinds of emotional and physical freedom! It means I have more choice as to when and how I shower, or in overexerting myself on the patio. I know that if something were to happen to me, the RSVP will be here eventually. It means that when I am really in-bed-sick, wondering if I am going to die, and afraid that I will not, I know that the RSVP will be here, sooner or later.

They are only here a few minutes, usually just at the door. This volunteer group of caring, friendly, trained seniors (most of them older than I!) has made a world of difference in my daily life for over a year now.

If you would life further information on the San Diego Retired Senior Volunteer Patrol (RSVP) you can call: 619.291.8228.

No comments:

Post a Comment