Saturday, April 14, 2007

Maslow’s 5 Steps to Self-Actualization


In a forum I have been frequenting of late, we are having a ‘discussion’ regarding ‘motivation’. This discussion has now gone on for 3 days, and there are 3 full pages of messages.

It got me to thinking of ‘motivation’ in my own life, specifically my CURRENT life.

There are those that think I lack motivation, therefore achievement of goals and the following success, in several areas of my life, ranging from smoking cessation, to completing a novel, to making more $$$, to losing weight.

Strangely, (or maybe not!), I do not feel that way. Because of that specific discussion, my thoughts have turned to Maslow and his 5 Steps originally published in 1943 (and probably horribly ‘outdated’ to many these days), something I have not cogitated on in a very long time. I would refer you to an ‘overview’ at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow

I first came across Maslow while in college during the early Seventies. Even then I thought his ‘steps’ right on, and was able to apply them easily to my own life and endeavors. Maslow still speaks to me, as I am still on step one, fighting to get my basic needs met. And at age 61, I doubt I will ever move up the ‘steps’, but you never know.

But that does not mean I am not motivated, as I am. Proof of this is that I am still among the living, have a roof over my head, two cats, and a couple of close acquaintances’ (if not friends).

It does perhaps mean that finishing that novel or losing some weight, may be a bit more difficult for me (but at least I know why). It does not mean that I will not accomplish these things, it just means that a lot of things in my life could be a lot easier than they are, if I could just get ‘basic needs’ not only met, but assured.

Yea, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment