Saturday, July 28, 2007

Half-Birthday!

Today is my Half-Birthday. To celebrate I went shopping with a little bit of money I'd held back just for this event.

For those of you who don't know, a Half-Birthday is the equivalent of being born on 'Festivas'! A Half-Birthday is for those poor folk (like moi!) who were born within the month AFTER Christmas!

Being born at such a time, when everyone is broke and hung-over, from THE major christian holiday of the year, is tantamount to NOT having a birthday! There are no parties, big gifts, a day at the circus for us! Nope, we are lucky to get a piece a cake with a candle in it and a verbal 'Happy Birthday', and that in a half-hearted manner.

So sometime in my late twenties, I saw, read, heard SOMEWHERE about half-birthdays! From then on, I've celebrated my half-birthday on July 28. And let me tell ya, there have been some damn fine parties and celebrations! Needless to say, as I've gotten older (and clean & sober), the celebrations have toned down considerably! Even though it's now a party of one, I still celebrate my half-birthday.

Of course, I never expect or accept half-birthday presents. BUT, I always buy myself one! And ya know what? It is always something I want! This year it was a set of crochet hooks and a piece of Lemon Meringue Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment