Thursday, August 09, 2007

Power Wheel Chairs 101

Many disabled people, those that can work, or have family, own several wheel chairs! As each chair does different things; ie an 'inside' chair, an outside chair, a heavy duty 4 wheel scooter (for local shopping), a chair that will fit inside (to drive) a 'disabled' vehicle, a manual 'emergency chair' that will fold and go in a car, and so on. I actually know some of these 'multiple' chair people. Wish I were one of them!

Yet no matter how I've tried, I've always been unable to have more than ONE, the one I am in! Mainly because with only one chair, they are way past any kind of repair when I get a new one (ie like a car, it can be more expensive to repair than get a new one). In fact usually they are by then 'non-working' and I am stuck in bed!

I am in that position now. My one chair (3 years old), not meeting ALL my current needs. Mainly, I can not reach stove, counter tops, and the like from this chair. Since I could pull myself to a standing position, even take a few steps when I got it, this chair was not configured to do ALL that I need. And THIS chair, though a good one, IS three years old now, and on it's 'downhill' cycle.

I have no qualms about getting used chairs; in fact, I keep looking on Craig's List, etc. Just have never found one, or they want way too much for it, and/or it has no batteries (in which case, you don't even know if it works but they want cash for it!), etc. Then in addition, you have full cost of repair, no warranty, etc. But I do keep looking!

I would venture to guess that within 5 years, - power chairs prices are coming down so much, and so fast - that they will be like many 'major' electronics ie, you will be able to buy just by 'assigning' a monthly payment from your checking account.

But, this is now. IF I had a credit card (they don’t give people with monthly incomes of $867 month, credit cards!), I would have BOTH these chairs here next week!

1) Power Chair
http://www.spinlife.com/shopping/cartnew.cfm?added=true&CFID=6400969&CFTOKEN=31237382

2) Manual ‘Emergency’ Fold and Go Chair:
http://www.spinlife.com/Invacare-Tracer-IV-Heavy-Duty-Wheelchair/spec.cfm?productID=108

And life would be not only easier, but less stressful, and more fun!

There is no such thing as being dis-abled, there is only not having the 'right' equipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment