Monday, August 13, 2007

Update on The Cat with No Name

I think the antibiotic did the trick! He has finally healed. He is coming twice a day to eat now (dry food & water are there all the time), drinks well, only cries now when it dinnertime (1/2 can of canned food), and he is drinking enough water.

As the amount of testosterone he has decreases, he has become less ‘jumpy’ also. He now will actually stay on the patio as I put out his food. So, he is very gradually letting me get closer and closer to him. Perhaps someday he will let me pet him!

He tries to come in, wants to come in! And sometimes he does, if I know I’ll be sitting right there to watch him. Otherwise, I have to be very careful to keep the screen closed, as he still ‘sprays’! It is my hope that the ‘older’ he gets, and the further away from being neutered, that he will stop this, at least inside! Not to mention, that he has fleas...

I watched him yesterday as he lay in the grass in the shade of a big tree, interacting with the Sisters, and he seemed to be enjoying life.

It has only taken: 10 months, 2 Organizations (SNAP & Feral Cat Coalition), 4 volunteers (not counting those at the spay/neuter clinic), three different traps, a 'donated round of antibiotics' and me feeding and talking to him to make his little life better.

The only thing I would add, if I could, would be some kind of retribution for the people that don't spay/neuter their animals when they are young, then abandon them, when 'nature' takes over!

It makes me happy! I have been at trying to ‘help’ this abandoned cat for 10 full months now; at times it’s been very vexing, stressful, and frustrating. But think we’re there now...

No comments:

Post a Comment