Friday, January 04, 2008

Computer woes

My ONE desktop, with its' one hard drive, was acting up the last time I posted to this blog. It quickly got worse. I tried everything I knew of: virus checks, malware checks, scan disk, defrag, the whole nine yards, nadda.

Finally on December 21, Windows XP just crashed, which is not all that suprising as I had had the same install for 2 1/2 yrs. It would not close, wouldn't 'system restore’, then it wouldn't boot. Oh joy, just what I needed for Christmas!

So after sighing a lot, I wiped the disk and reinstalled. After a couple of days of that process, the SAME things started happening AGAIN.

This was way beyond my experience! So I had someone come in. He also could not wipe the disk and reinstall XP without errors! So, he went further than that. It turned out I had a 'corrupted' master boot record. He fixed it, reinstalled XP. Though I was terrifically happy, I KNEW the days and days of work that was in front of me.

So that is where I've been and what I've been doing.

People with more than one computer are so fortunate! Hope everyone had ‘better’ holidays this year than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment