Thursday, January 03, 2008

As if I didn’t have enough problems!

Last night, ohh, about 1AM, I wanted some Ice Cream. So I went to the freezer. The new half gallon of Ice Cream was on the top shelf. I stretched to reach it, grasped the edge of the lid of the round carton. It tipped over, and POURED down the shelves of the freezer and into my lap!

I checked the rest of the stuff in the freezer, and it was stuffed full. Everything was thawed!

Of course, there was no one to help me in the middle of the night. So I spent the next HOUR, mopping up melted ice cream with a couple of small sponges. I did a pretty good job too, but it exhausted me.

I set my alarm, got up as soon as the Complex office opened, so I could call. First one guy came, an hour later another one checked it out, ‘yep, it’s not working’, they said. Lastly the maintenance manager arrived. They then bought in a ‘loaner’ and put in my living room. (So again, the spot where I put my wheelchair to watch TV, read, or crochet was blocked to me.) It’s my opinion that the refrigerator absorbed too much water from the very wet kitchen wall when all that was going on, but no one wants my opinion.

At 3PM, my IP arrived. She spent most of her scheduled two hours today, helping me make a list of all the food in the freezer that had been ruined, then taking it out to the dumpster!

Of course, there were a few items I could salvage: a tub of cool whip, a loaf of bread, and a package of dinner rolls. But even a 4 pack of bran muffins had to be tossed because the bottom of the package had filled with ‘wet’ from other melting foods. Hundreds of $$$ of food, ruined!

Since I eat mainly frozen entrees (adding cups of fruit, cottage cheese, etc), and frozen veggies, and since I depend on having groceries delivered (at $10 charge per), I keep my freezer WELL STOCKED.

No comments:

Post a Comment