Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The Kitty Project

In December of 2003, I lost my feline companion of 16 years, Bebe. I was devastated!

I cried for days; walked around in a fog for weeks. Then I started looking forward to 'kitty season' and finding some more feline companions.

Little did I know... Spaying & Neutering programs have been SO effective (thankfully!) in the city where I live, that finding kittens turned out to be a crusade of sorts. Even the local animal shelter only had adult cats and one kitten here and there! Since I wanted TWO KITTENS from the same litter, you'd have thought I was searching for the grail itself. I followed up every newspaper ad, every lead. Let all my friends and acquaintances know I was looking... I did find some kitties; ALL FOR SALE. Even the plain ole 'housecat' variety kittens cost a bundle. The price for ONE kitten ran the range of $30 to $125!!! The purebreds, Siamese, Persian, etc, were much more! I was ready, since I live close to the border, to send a friend to Mexico to get me some kittens! (Wonder if ya can bring THEM across the border?)

Then one day, a woman called me from out of the blue. Someone had given her my phone number. She worked with an Animal Rescue group and someone had left a cardboard box of 6 week old kittens on her porch the week before. Was I interested in two, for free??? You would think this would be the end of the story, but not! First of all, I had to undergo a 'home visit' (which I had to wait a week for!). I offered to give references, Vets, etc. But no, my home had to be 'checked'. This nice retired teacher came, checked out my apartment, and chatted with me. Would the cats be kept inside? (Yes.) Who would care for the cats if I were vacationing, in the hospital, or died (My adult daughter.) She was concerned about placing the kittens with me because I am a smoker! Would I be willing to smoke outside??? (No!) I told her I hadn't ever had a cat die from lung cancer and she got a little ticked. And I thought I'd missed my chance with those particular kittens...

Well, a few days later, she phoned again. She could bring me the two kittens early the next day (right!). Of course, I got everything ready. Set my alarm and got up early (I am a night person!). And she called and rescheduled for the NEXT day. But the next day, the same thing was repeated. Finally on Thursday June 3, 2004, (after noon, though I'd again gotten up early) she bought me two adorable 7 week old kittens. They seemed to be happy, healthy babies; no runny eyes, noses, though a touch on the thin side. The Rescue lady told me they had been defleaed, dewormed and checked by a vet.

I was enchanted; fell in love on sight. They were exact twins: female, tiny, very short hair, and totally black. I invited my friends in to meet them. I named them Lucy (the larger outgoing one) and Ethel (the smaller, shyer one). And my apartment didn't feel nearly as empty. The quest had been worth it! That was Thursday afternoon. By Friday night it was obvious they were ill, at least with eye infections. Yet they ate, slept, played, etc. So I was planning a visit to the vet the first of the next week, yet I wasn't really very concerned.

Over the week end; they both got more and more ill. I even thought they might have kitty fevers. I was starting to get worried... Yesterday MY vet saw them. They both have pneumonia AND eye infections, which of course, they probably contracted at the Rescue Facility...

They each had an injection of antibiotic and steroid. They each got prescriptions of oral antibiotics, high powered vitamins, and eye ointment. He warned me that they would probably get worse before they got better... Last night, I didn't get much sleep. One of them was so ill, I honestly thought it could die in it's sleep. But we all made it though that long night.

Today, they are not quite as lethargic. They have eaten well, took their meds. But no playing, no visiting, they eat, potty, then go back to their chosen 'bed' and sleep. I'm STILL worried, but knowing they ARE getting the proper meds, and that they are eating, not 'quite' as worried as last night. Still, might be a long night...

If you believe in 'prayer', keep these two little 'fur' babies in mind. They did not deserve this!

No comments: