Saturday, June 19, 2004

Peas & Carrots

My dinner was almost ready. The white plate was sitting on the stove awaiting the placement of the last item: peas & carrots.

I eyed the food hungrily but resisted temptation to take a bite. Just then the microwave dinged and I opened it to retrieve the container with last night's reheated veggie.

But my attention still must have been focused on the plate with the food already on it; I reached in for the peas & carrots, slid the container out, and somehow managed to slide it right off the counter!

It tipped right into my body, much of it's contents sliding on down to the kitchen floor. Luckily, I'd drained the veggies well BEFORE nuking them, so I had little or no liquid to deal with. Just peas & carrots.

A fast grab saved the entire container from hitting the floor. I carefully evaluated the remaining contents to see if there was enough left for dinner. There was. I scooped 'em out onto the plate.

Then I made the fateful decision; clean the floor now, or clean it after eating. Well, I was hungry!

After a leisurely, and good, may I add, meal. I took my plate, glass, and other stuff into the kitchen. I was fully prepared to clean up the peas & carrots from the floor in front of the microwave as soon as I washed my dishes.

Except there was no longer a little pile of peas & carrots. There was a pile of squarish bright yellow carrots. The peas had traveled all over the floor! In fact, they were traveling as I watched, dirty dishes in hand.

Lucy & Ethel, my kittens, had discovered a zany fact of life, peas roll!

It took me 2 minutes to wash my dishes, being careful to not step on a stray pea. It took me half and hour to separate the kittens from the peas, gather all the peas, and mop the floor.

When bedtime came, as I drifted off for the night, I was wondering how many peas were under the refrigerator, stove, shelves, that I hadn't been able to find. And how long it would take them to shrivel and dry up. And what the crew who'd clean the apartment when I moved out, would think. I almost couldn't go to sleep because I was giggling...

No comments: