Friday, June 25, 2004

Neighbors (???)

A new next door neighbor, here in the 'fishbowl' has actually complained to the Management of the apartment complex about the noise my electric hospital bed makes at night.

Of course the new neighbor does not know it's a hospital bed making the noise that apparently disturbs his/her sleep. The complaint to the management was that I 'ran machines and played the TV all night".

I received a letter from the management. I got in touch with her and let her know about the hospital bed. And told her I did listen to talk radio at night, but kept the volume down. I also reminded her that I'd lived here almost 5 years and no one had made such a complaint before!

She said to make sure I kept the radio audio turned down as 'the walls are thin' and that of course, there was nothing I could do about the bed.

I thought it was bad enough to be sick, alone, sleepless, and worried about various things.

It wasn't! Now I also worry about how loud my talk radio is (I can't afford an under the pillow speaker), and if my bedroom window is open and how far the noise will travel.

Worse yet; I allow myself to become VERY uncomfortable, or IN PAIN, before I change the position of my head or foot settings, not wanting to bother a neighbor.

This seems to be of no avail. Every time I adjust my bed during the night, this person, this stranger, actually POUNDS on the walls, no matter the time! Which of course surely is heard throughout the building and disturbs still more people (though it doesn't bother me, as I am awake already)!

I'm really sorry I'm disturbing this person's sleep! And I've tried to correct the problem to the best of my ability.

What I'd REALLY like to do is leave a note on his/her door saying: I was a 'night worker' for over 20 years! I didn't expect the children to stop playing or the world to go on 'pause' while I slept during the day. I got a sleep mask, a sign for the door, and EARPLUGS. I suggest YOU do the same!!!

Maybe if I did that, ONE of us would sleep better!

No comments: