Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Crochet!

After at least a decade off, I have started Crocheting again! I remembered how soothing it is, and what a great stress reliever it is for me, which is exactly why I was thinking of picking up the hobby once again. Plus, I don’t usually smoke while actually crocheting.

I mentioned all of this to a friend, and she graciously ‘gifted’ me with a few skeins of 4-ply acrylic yarn! (I still had my hooks tucked away in my sewing box.)

About 10 or 12 years ago, I just stopped crocheting. I cannot really remember why; maybe I was just tired of it, or too busy, whatever. At any rate, after 2 – 3 years of NOT crocheting, I gave away four boxes of yarn to someone that wanted it. I could not see letting it languish in my closet, just going to waste.

So here I was, thinking of Crocheting again, and no yarn. Worse yet was finding out that the usual retailers (Target, K-Mart, etc), no longer carried or sold it! You are almost forced to patronize the expensive (and they are few and far between) craft stores, or purchase online (and pay the shipping costs).

Then my friend gave me a few skeins! And here I am, making and throwing away dozens of ‘test’ pieces, made with different size hooks, and in different stitches, to ‘get the hang’ of it again, and to find my ‘gauge’.

I have found a pattern for afghans, lap blankets, baby afghans, all made of rectangles (7 x 9 inches). This is right up my alley! It is easy to carry around, can be any colors, and can be as simple or as intricate as you want. The finished product has the look of a ‘quilt’. I want to make me one, and make others for friends. I am now working on my ‘first’ 7 x 9, and loving it.

Does anyone have any yarn they do not want?

No comments:

Post a Comment