Friday, June 08, 2007

Sjogren's Syndrome

Saw my Rheumatologist yesterday, and got the results from the blood work done about a month ago (it was sent to a ‘special’ lab).

Most of the values were high: IGG, IGM, Compliment 3, and C-Reactive Protein. (Of interest Sjogren’s A & B, still have not converted, though salivary biopsy was positive on 8.16.01.)

Jeeze, no wonder I feel so rotten. Many, many people have Sjogren’s Syndrome and never go beyond the ‘dry eyes, dry mouth, fatigue’ stage. Why am I always one of the ‘lucky ones’?

Up to now, I have only been treated for the 'symptoms' of Sjogren’s Syndrome: eye duct plugs, Ketoprophen cream for joint pain, and
Numoisyn lozenges for saliva production.

Now I guess I get to do cortisone for a month, and if that helps (repeat blood work in 3 weeks), on to Plaquenil. I only hope it helps, that the meds are not more problematic than the disease.

Though I have previously had two salivary stones, osteo in wrists and ankles, fatigue, and all the ‘dry’ stuff, guess I have fully joined the Sjogren’s club now...

No comments:

Post a Comment