Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Lunch Date

Rosemary, a friend of many years came over for a late lunch today. As usual, she arrived with a bag of Fast Food, burgers and fries. We blissfully munched out while ‘catching up’ with what was going on with each other.

She is one of the few friends I have left. Most people, no matter how close you’ve been, just don’t tolerate continued illness, sooner or later, one way or another, they bow out.

Then there is the poverty factor. I cannot meet someone at Denny’s for brunch, or pay for a ticket to some event. Nor can I accept an invitation to a birthday, wedding, shower, as I do not have the $9 for disabled transit (it all goes for medical needs), let alone purchase a gift. People need you to carry your fair share of the relationship; they do not want to feel used, or depended upon. I can understand that.

My ‘friends’ are few and far between. Rosemary is one of the few, she has hung in there with me for years, bless her.

No comments:

Post a Comment