Saturday, June 30, 2007

Power Chair Fun & Games

I was down on Rosecrans and Midway, and there right in the middle of the sidewalk was this HUGE, jagged 3-inch ‘drop’ in the sidewalk. There was no way around it either.

So I stopped, surveyed the situation, how far back to a corner, etc. Then I went for it. After all, my chair is supposed to ‘do’ up to 3-inch obstacles.

Of course, I was immediately stuck. The chair would not go either forward or backward over the edge. To top it off, the curb was dangerously close.

A kind graying, middle-aged man came along. With just a little instruction, he was able to turn the wheelchair to ‘manual’ operation. Then, since I did not want him to hurt himself (my chair, without me in it weighs almost 300 pounds!), I insisted he get someone else to help. Soon another man came along, and between the two of them, they were able to get me out of the ‘dump’.

How embarrassing! This has NEVER happened to me before. And why can’t the city of San Diego, CA, keep its major sidewalks in repair?

No comments:

Post a Comment