Saturday, November 15, 2008

First Round of Chemo

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week I had my first round of Chemo. It wasn’t so bad except it took so long! Monday I was there 8 hours! Tuesday and Wednesday was about six hours each, so just the amount of time there was exhausting. And it is without a break, you sit in a recliner hooked up to an IV the entire time.

The staff was nice; lunch was even served! The other patients (8 – 10) came and went, and they too were nice. The only problems were: 1) they wanted me to leave my wheelchair out in the hall, and I insisted it (and all that was on it), remain in the room with me, in my sight. 2) Like a child in the backseat of a car, I kept asking ‘are we there yet’. (It is beyond me why they cannot give a realistic estimate of how long it will take, and where you are at in the process.)

Between the ‘treatment’, and the number of hours, I was wiped out by the time the hospital’s van took me home. I was so weak, so very weak…

But my daughter Lisa, came over as soon as I got home and called her, and helped me safely into a nightgown and into bed. Something I appreciated beyond belief. I don’t know what I would have done without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment