Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Homeless Population

I went to Downtown San Diego today for an errand, by Horton Plaza actually. (Though I did not go to Horton Plaza, one of my fav places – no money, not even for a coffee!).

It has been several months since I have been there. I do not know if it was because it is a Saturday, or what.

But it seemed to me that there were so many more homeless, mostly male, than there used to be.

They range in age from late teens to elderly, usually unshaven, unkempt hair of various lengths, marginally to very dirty, and dressed in old clothes that are either too tight or too baggy.

Though it was early afternoon, there were people pushing carts, or with backpacks & bedrolls, all over the sidewalks, sitting, sleeping, sometimes gathered in 2 and 3’s.

Do they come in from colder climes for the mild San Diego winter weather? Or are all these folks ‘residents’ of San Diego?

Though I always give away a ciggie or two, and whatever change I have when asked, (being grateful that I am not on the street!) today I had nothing to give.

Homeless people, homeless animals; it is enough to break your heart, if you have one.

I do NOT understand why America cannot find an acceptable job, something the person is capable of doing, for each of them. And a place to live...

No comments:

Post a Comment