Friday, October 26, 2007

Raccoons!

Last night I was in bed listening to the radio, just starting to doze off when I heard what I thought were strange, furtive type noises on the patio. The Sisters were both right there in bed with me, sleeping soundly, so I was not concerned. Besides, I was 'locked' in and my outside area is well lit.

Then I heard the CRASH of a potted plant hitting the patio floor, and since this has been happening all too frequently of late, I got up and went to the Living Room, without turning on any lights, to see what I could see.

What I saw, kept me up quietly watching from the dark behind almost fully closed blinds. It kept me enchanted and entertained for about two hours in the middle of the night!

There was a 'troupe' or 'family' of 5 Raccoons (It looked like two parents and 3 half growns) using my patio for a playground! They were big, healthy looking, with clean smooth coats. And beautiful black bandit masks! I knew we had plenty of 'city' skunks and possums; I had not a clue about the Raccoons!

The Raccoons chased each other around the potted plants on the patio floor, sometimes taking a 'shortcut' across the top of a plant, almost tipping over the heavy plants in the process. Then they would switch partners, play hide and seek around the larger pots. I have 'stick toys & adornments' in almost all my potted plants (plants like to 'look pretty' too!). Many of these decorative items are mobile in some way or another. The Raccoons would sit up on their hind legs and sniff, try to eat, bat these adornments, then watch or run away for a little ways in what seemed to be a 'mock fright' when they got them to spinning or moving. Then they would tackle another.

It was a magical event! I am so glad I got out of bed and watched the show! On the other hand, one could lose a lot of sleep this way...

No comments:

Post a Comment