Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Sisters and the Hummingbird!

I could not believe it! On their fourth outing to the patio, Lucy caught a Hummingbird!

I heard this loud thud, and turned to see Lucy dashing into the house with something in her mouth, something feathered! Ethel followed closely behind with intense interest.

Lucy had been sitting on the patio rail, a couple of plants away from the Hummer Feeder. Next thing I knew plants, and cats were scattered everywhere.

Lucy is the larger of the two by far. She also can't see well, and is probably the klutziest cat you've ever met! If either had caught a bird, let alone a Hummingbird, I would have placed my money on Ethel.

I'm telling you, if you're not familiar with Hummingbirds, you could stand UNDER the feeder all day, every day, grabbing at every bird that appeared with a large net, and NEVER catch one. I swear, that bird must have flown right into Lucy's mouth, or at least 'hung' right in front of her face, so all she had to do was open her mouth!

As soon as I saw what she had in her mouth, I got a paper towel, chased her and Ethel, who was in hot pursuit, around the living room, and under the bed a few times. She never put the bird down, and seemed to be carrying it gently in her partially open mouth. She instinctively knew that both Ethel and I wanted her bounty!

I finally was able to grab Lucy by the nape of the neck and gently extract the Hummer from her mouth; I was sure it was dead. Not so, it looked at me and blinked (or the Hummingbird equivalent!). So I took it out to the patio and placed it in a hanging pot, where it would be safe until it either recovered or died.

I'd no sooner got back in the apartment and shut the patio door when I saw it sit up, shake itself out, and fly away! There were two excited cats, and one sadder but wiser bird, but all's well that ends well!

1 comment: