Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hoagies and Christmas Cookies

Today I not only got dressed, I went to Vons to use my ‘gift card’ (the only X-mas gift I got this year!). It's only the second time I've been out of the complex since 12.21.06! (Both times since 1.3.06)

I didn’t have the energy to ‘fool around’, no window shopping at other stores. No getting a Starbucks coffee; no chatting with folks. I got the bus, went to the one store, got what I needed, and took the bus home.

Besides Milk, and a couple of other staples (you can’t carry much on a wheel chair), I finally got my Christmas cookies! (Having completely missed out on all the winter holidays this year, I was feeling more than a little deprived!) I was thrilled to find a display of stale, on sale, bakery Christmas cookies! Oh joy!

I also got a deli Hoagie sandwich! In the past few weeks, I’ve mainly eaten Slim Fast shakes, sandwiches, scrambled eggs & toast, cereal, frozen entrees, adding cottage cheese, canned fruit or veggies, and pudding and gelatin cups. So that stack of pre-made deli Hoagies looked like heaven to me.

I was exhausted when I got home. Had to lie down and rest awhile, but not for long, not hours. But trip didn't seem to make pain in my leg worse...

Then I had that entire Hoagie for dinner. No cutting it and saving half for another meal. No adding a cup of fruit or diet Jello, or counted out chips. Just the sandwich, the whole thing, which I was delighted to find, had a few slices of Jalapeno on it! Nothing else, just a cold cola, and that entire sandwich! Every bite was wonderful. Then hours later, before I went to bed, I had a glass of milk and a whole handful (maybe 6?), Christmas Cookies. Not a very good Diabetic meal plan. But then again - maybe I’ll live to plan diabetic meals another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment