Friday, January 19, 2007

Wow, even MORE family!

Kathy Sackett (1980?)


Spurred by my conversation with my half-brother, Bobby Taber yesterday, today I followed up on an email enquiry to Kathy Sackett.

I found her listed on the net and had reason to believe she was the daughter of my Uncle Clay Campbell. Since I had no reply to two emails, and it was to a work addie that might have GOOD spam filters, I looked up the phone number. (In hindsight, she probably GOT the emails, just chose not to respond.)

I got lucky; not only was the business listed, but it was an 800 number! And Kathy Sackett was indeed my Uncle Clay's daughter.

When I last spoke with her, about 15 years ago, she had a different husband, so a different last name (3 rd hubby that I am aware of; she definitely takes after her Dad!). Of course, I gave her my address and phone number at that time, also. But she not only never contacted me, but had not sent a copy of her father's journal that she had promised.

Kathy, who has two brothers, a sister, and a mother I wanted news of, was polite (she's in her fifties now!), but curt. She did tell me that Buddy Campbell committed suicide in 1993, and that her mother had died of cancer in 1996.

I asked her to pass my email on, especially to her older sister (closer to my age). At one point during the conversation she said, "Well, we're not really related, are we," in a curt and sarcastic manner. (My Mom and her Dad would turn over in their graves if they'd heard something like that!) I explained that we were NOT blood relations, but we WERE family; my Mom being Clay's adopted aunt and literally raising him, when his Mom left, though she was only 12 years older.

No comments:

Post a Comment